Inappropriate reactions...

 Just a few days ago, on Twitter, an author decided to attack a youtube vlogger. (Not gonna name names, because I don't see the point, but if you want to find out what went down, browser search 'authors reacting badly to reviews on twitter' and the most recent debacle should show up.)

About bad reviews:

I get the emotions of anger, frustration, and depression and that there are people who don't like your story/novel...I'm a wannabe writer, and even though I've yet to publish and have the heartache of people not liking my stuff, I know it will be there when I do.

But, what I don't get: is the acting out on social media because someone said they don't like your book. If the reviewer makes it a point to provide constructive criticism, that's great and you should try and take that advice. Ignore any reviews that don't provide any advice at all. If you must post a comment to a review, be polite or don't answer.


Learn to take constructive criticism. Not everyone is going to love your book the way you do, or at all. If you can't take constructive criticism, then sorry but you should find something else to do.

5 ☆ratings of your own books. While this isn't illegal, it's extremely cheesy, and you can just about count on someone investigating it and possibly even calling you out on it.

Do your research before making spurious claims. Like claiming that another author stole an idea/cover/title, investigate that, and message that author privately, or let professionals such as copywrite lawyers handle the issue. 

Be very careful about inspiration from other sources...not saying being inspired is a bad idea, far from it! In fact, the majority of books ever written were inspired by something...but change it around and make it your own. 

This is all I can think of for now, but please comment if you have any constructive criticism on any of my posts:)

Lynx

Comments